Affordable Air Conditioning for Seniors
Soaring temperatures during Australian summers can be miserable for people of all ages, but the effect of heat and humidity on seniors and the elderly can be potentially life threatening. People aged 65 years and over are at increased risk of heat-related illnesses which range from mild conditions such as heat rash or cramps to serious conditions such as heatstroke, heat exhaustion or heat oedema, even cardio-vascular problems.
The Importance of Air Conditioning for Seniors
The physical changes that occur in the body as we get older is one contributing factor to the potentially dangerous effect of heat and humidity on older Australians. The body normally cools itself by sweating but elderly skin is not able to produce as much sweat and cool the body as efficiently as younger skin. When the body can’t cool itself sufficiently and maintain a healthy temperature, heat stress occurs.
This is why special care needs to be taken in hot weather to maintain a safe temperature for the elderly in particular. The best way to do that is with air conditioning.
The Best Air Conditioner for Senior Citizens
According to Climate Council research, heatwaves cause the greatest number of deaths of any type of natural disaster in Australia. With Australia facing an ageing population, rising temperatures and surging power prices, finding cost effective ways to keep seniors cool and comfortable is more important than ever.
At Close Comfort, we believe that air conditioning shouldn’t be a luxury only a few can afford. That’s why we have invented a novel solution to this serious problem: An affordable air conditioner for seniors. The energy-efficient COOL FOCUS Personal Air Conditioner is designed to maintain a safe temperature for older Australians without running up electricity bills. It does this by creating a personal micro-climate through localised cooling.
The Close Comfort Difference
What makes Close Comfort’s Personal Air Conditioners different to conventional air conditioning systems?
With wall-mounted air conditioning units, nearly all of the electricity is wasted cooling walls and furniture rather than the people in the room. At Close Comfort, we cool people not rooms.
Also known as localised cooling, Close Comfort’s cutting-edge technology is designed to provide cooling only for part of a much larger space, only where cooling is needed. This means that our units are much more energy and cost-efficient than conventional air conditioners and even other portable air conditioners.
Running on just 300 Watts (an electric kettle needs 4 TIMES as much power to run), Close Comfort Personal Air Conditioners are so energy-efficient, you can run them for less than $1 a night. Compared to the standard electricity cost of $0.45-0.55 an hour to run traditional portable aircons (Source: Canstar Blue, Nov 2019), this represents a 75% reduction in power costs in an average night.
When it comes to the best air conditioner for aged care homes and in-home care services, consider Close Comfort’s cost-effective air conditioning solutions. They can be used either in addition to central or room air conditioning or as an extremely economic alternative to conventional air conditioners.
International research on mortality in heatwaves has shown that a significant proportion of elderly people who died or were hospitalised in heatwaves were avoiding using air conditioners because they were scared of running up electricity bills they could not afford to pay. Close Comfort uses so little electricity that you can take cooling off your list of things to worry about when it comes to your electricity bills.
10 reasons Why Close Comfort is the Best Air Conditioner for Seniors
- Close Comfort presents the lowest-cost air conditioning solution, providing comfort at a fraction of the cost of upgrading existing systems or buildings and is equally applicable for residential, hospice or home care use.
- Portable and convenient – our units weigh just 17kgs and can be moved on wheels to take with you to be used anywhere.
- NO WATER, NO EXHAUST HOSES, NO INSTALLATION, NO MESS – just plug in and go!
- Close Comfort needs 75% LESS POWER to run than standard air conditioners, dramatically reducing power costs and putting less strain on our planet’s resources.
- Standard portable air conditioners use up to 2,500 Watts of electric power and most require expensive installation, whereas Close Comfort requires just 300 Watts to provide refrigerated air conditioning without any installation or the need to permanently keep windows open, offering peace of mind and security.
- Using fans can actually make dehydration worse, not better. Close Comfort avoids the side effects of dehydration and users tell us they no longer suffer the eye and skin irritation problems common with standard air conditioners.
- Many older people avoid using air conditioners and suffer heat stress as a result; they can use Close Comfort without having to worry about power bills and enjoy affordable relief in heatwaves.
- Close Comfort’s units are among the quietest portable air conditioners in Australia, so they are ideal to use in bedrooms. To enhance the cooling effect and also keep annoying mozzies out, especially in humid conditions, Close Comfort has created a unique Igloo Bed Tent that can be easily fitted over a double to king size bed.
- Close Comfort’s portable unit can be used to cool people inside or outside with windows open or closed, so it fits in with people’s lives rather than needing to fit their life around an air conditioner. Seniors who love getting away can even take their Close Comfort units with them to use in caravans or while camping as it can easily run off a generator or off-grid power source.
- Close Comfort can be used with room air conditioners too – reduce power bills by increasing the thermostat temperature while using Close Comfort’s focused cooling for seniors who need extra comfort.
Having an effective air conditioning unit can be life saving, especially when outdoor temperatures reach an unbearable high in summer. Close Comfort’s revolutionary patented technology is making the comfort of home cooling accessible to everybody.
Whether you have an elderly family member, or would like to enjoy Close Comfort’s energy-efficient cooling comfort yourself, we have a cooling solution to fit your life. Order your Close Comfort Personal Air Conditioner today.
For technical information on how our solution works click here.
For answers to frequently asked questions click here.